Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Cinci-Going-Nutty

Whew... I feel like I just stepped off the treadmill. Since my last post, all I've been doing is moving from one activity to the next. I went through a seminar on 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, had friends come over for a visit, flew to Manila and back to Singapore, went on vacation in India with my sisters (more on that in future posts), finished off my last assignment and flew to the US, where I'm currently writing this entry.

No wonder I haven't had time to write! I've just been so swamped wrapping up the last 6 years of my work life in a digest-able format that I can pass on to the next generation. Add to that the stress of a last-minute vacation in India! It was so last minute, I was booking hotels for our stay in Jaipur just 2 days before! I don't think my heart rested a single beat this last month.

But suddenly I find myself in Cincinnati... and everything stops. I'm sure it naturally does that when you find yourself in-between jobs. But it's still a little strange to go from 100-odd emails a day to get this, five emails. FIVE EMAILS!! And that's including spam, which is kinda sad. On top of that, Cincinnati is actually a city where everything literally stops.

I was shocked, and more than a little depressed, to find two cars on the road on a Friday evening at 9pm. And that the malls are closed by 6pm on a Sunday! Coming from the shopping bag of the East that is Singapore, it was almost the last straw.




Thank God for Barnes & Noble, which is where I'll probably be hanging out all the time. That and Prime Outlet, which is a fantastic outlet mall I discovered, just an hour away from downtown.

I'm seeing more of the city in the next few days and I'm trying to keep an open mind, withhold judgment and keep the tears in check. It just says a lot about the city when you ask people how they like Cinci, and the reply is "well, it's only 4 hours away from Chicago by car" or "It's fantastic! Just 1.5hours away from NY by plane!"

Wonderful.

4 Comments:

At 12:43 PM , Blogger ollie said...

2 cars on the road on a friday night?! Jeez, that is creepy... ala twilight zone. Thank god for the B&N. Does it stay open late like the Border's here?

 
At 4:20 AM , Blogger moan said...

Tell me about it... It was really creepy especially because there are always cars on the road at all hours in Singapore and Manila. I was all ready to kiss the salespeople at B&N for being open till 11pm even on a Sunday night. This is definitely going to be my lifesaver here. :)

 
At 4:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! uve moved already?

ok lang yan, ull get used to it, or go nuts in the process. ;-) either way, ill be 1.5 hours away LOL

 
At 4:21 AM , Blogger moan said...

i haven't moved yet! just doing my look-see although there really isn't much to look at or see. :)

and trust me, i'll be over in NY more than you care to see me. mwahahahaha!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home