Thursday, March 01, 2007

Driving to Alsace: Day 15

Definitely not the the route you should take since the travel from Mont St-Michel (NW) to Alsace (NE) crosses France entirely and takes 8-9 hours. But I wanted to squeeze in as much as I could, so off I go.

Alsace is the region closest to Germany so some of the city names sound like it's from the Fatherland (i.e. Strassbourg). It's famous for the village houses which have remained untouched, some since the 14th century, and which Colmar, where I am staying, probably has the best examples of.








It is also famous for the wine, Riesling, Tokay pinot gris, Pinot noir, Muscat, Gewurtzraminer, Pinot blanc, all of which I happily sampled at dinner together with my French pizza appetizer, the flammakuecha. I really liked it since it's much lighter and thinner than the Italian version. Pinot noir, by the way, is the only red wine which you chill.


By the end of the aperitif (Vendange Tardive -- very very sweet wine because the grapes are plucked at the last possible moment), the appetizer and the wine, I was more than a little happy that I even dared eat the specialty entrée -- choucrout with pata (pork leg). Choucrout is essentially boiled cabbage.


Ok ok, I wasn't drunk enough to finish it. I'm happier with the wine than the food.

1 Comments:

At 1:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Traveling to Alsace for the first time, and experiencing its culture and spending time with the people there makes the time worth while. With its untouched remains gives you an idea on what its history is all about.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home