Friday, April 27, 2007

The Two Sides of Cinci

Day 7 in Cinci and I’ve added a few things that have depressed me further:
1) Dinner at “The Phoenix,” supposedly one of the best restaurants in town. Zagat rated and all that, though I didn’t see the ratings outside the door. Despite making a reservation, I waited a good half-hour for my table, which gave me more than enough time to understand what “smart casual” dress code means here. The number of men in black slacks (smart) AND tennis shoes (casual) was overwhelming.

2) So far, all the apartments that I’ve seen, suck. What is this American love affair with fully carpeted flooring? The entire apartment is covered in a drab beige carpet, which wouldn’t be all that bad if there weren’t previous tenants with who-knows-what-germs. Don’t even get me started on the vertical-blinds-most-commonly-found-in-hospitals look that seems to be here to stay.

I also checked out some of the houses in the nicer areas, but the idea of me having to mow the lawn and clear the driveway of snow is not very appealing. Neither is the thought of living in suburbia surrounded by American flags.

3) The nearest gimik place is in KENTUCKY! Granted, Newport in Kentucky is only across the river, but it’s the principle! I have to go to another state to find a decent watering hole. Sigh.

And lastly, though I admit this is an affliction that is not just limited to Cinci,
4) The boundless and ever-annoying perkiness that is evidenced by high-decibel greetings of “how are you today?” and sentences punctuated with terms of endearment which are, in other cultures, reserved usually for relationships which have lasted more than 2 seconds. I’ve never said “I’m good, thanks” or been called “hon,” “darling” or “sweetie” by complete strangers more than in one afternoon of shopping in the US.

God, I hope perkiness isn’t contagious.

But on the flip side, I’ve also discovered some things which, surprise, surprise, show that maybe Cinci isn't that bad after all:
1) I found out that they have a (I'm not kidding) Procter and Gamble theater hall that was playing "The Lion King" at the time I was there (fantastic show, by the way. The opening number will blow you away.) Turns out they actually have a full season of shows coming that includes “Wicked,” “Mamma Mia” and “Jersey Boys.” Hurrah!! For sure I’ll be buying season tickets.

2) “Historic” Mt. Adams, about a 10 minute drive from downtown. My pick for my future address. It’s quite surprising to find cobblestone streets, trendy bars, an art museum, community theater and a park all conveniently located in one charming locale. I’m not quite sure yet what makes it historic but I’m not complaining. I can definitely picture myself living here.

3) Good restaurants with the ambience to match. After my disastrous experience at “The Phoenix,” I was ready to call it quits. Dead city, I can take. But bad food? Sacre bleu! Good thing that a little more diligent research over the Internet yielded some fantastic finds. If you ever find yourself in Cinci, the “Napa Grille” (2444 Madison Road), “Celestial” (1071 Celestial St.) and “Bararresi’s” (4111 Webster Avenue) are worth a stop, for the wine, the view and the veal, in that order.

I guess nothing is ever perfect, particularly when you’re moving to a city that is so far away from home. I’m still on the look-out for the perfect Chinese restaurant where I’m going to become “suki.” And I haven’t exactly found the perfect home. Nor the right car (suggestions anyone?). But it’s comforting to know that there are bits and pieces here and there that I might eventually learn to love. And that New York is close enough to escape to if I don’t.

6 Comments:

At 12:58 AM , Blogger ollie said...

Speaking of NY restos - last year, I was brought to a Vietnamese place near Columbia U where the bill was just $15/person! What a shock.

Drop by during the Halloween parade! Now that's one hell of a party!

 
At 10:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super funny post :) reminded me so much of my days in TX and KS! Good luck on finding a perfect Chinese resto -the best I found was comparable to "Anna's Catering Services" in Xavier. haha. I eventually settled for Brian's Black Angus beef (3X a week) and pasta with....hmmm...anything really. Take care and try to have as much fun as you can!

 
At 10:50 AM , Blogger moan said...

hahaha... thanks bri. i'm going to have to try really really hard! :) miss na kita, let's catch up naman before i leave for the US!

 
At 10:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss you too! :) yeah, lets see each other before you leave for the US! Ingats!

 
At 12:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You re, I guess , probably very interested to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may commense to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your choice That`s what you wish in the long run!

I feel good, I started to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a correct companion utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://upicowyto.kogaryu.com/samojoxy.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

 
At 6:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!
You may probably be very curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may commense earning with a money that usually is spent
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one project for several years,
and I'm ready to share my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I earn 1000-2000 per day now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home