Monday, June 25, 2007

Food Tripping in San Francisco

**Some not-appropriate-for-work pics below
Just came back from a San Francisco weekend with Ahia before I suck it up and move to Cinci. It was really a nice break for both of us, a 6-hour drive from LA notwithstanding. I don't think we ever stopped talking, though mostly that was due to my motor mouth and the Starbucks sugar rush (thanks Caramel Frappucino!).

The drive is nice, passing through mountains, flatlands, orchards and even sand dunes. I got my first taste of driving on the freeway (thanks Papa for my international license!) and I gotta admit, this is one of the things me likey here.

I've been to San Fran twice before and though I was too young to remember the first time (I was only 7, thanks Mom!), I do remember really loving the city with its bohemian vibe and old-world feel. It's a city to wear out your shoes and and your calves walking up and down the hills, where you hug yourself because of the cold winds and because you feel so welcomed. Not much surprise that this is home to one of the biggest Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Pride parades (that we were lucky enough to catch) and populations in the world.

Colorful balloons everywhere

Colorful gays as well

Gender neutral, clothing optional

Coming out? Or just going in the loo?

As Ahia said, you really see the "full spectrum of humanity". For a while there, I felt I was in a parallel universe... Men walked around with holes in their butt and crotch area, everyone was gay and kissing, pot was smoked openly, dresses galore... on men! The world was a lot more interesting.

You gotta love them, if just for this.

We still did the tourist-y thing, though I need to add fabulous restaurants to what I love about SF now too:
1) San Francisco just wouldn't be the same without THE icon, Golden Gate Bridge


2) The fantastic ambience at Fisherman's Wharf by night -- the street painters,




fire dancers,


sax players. Yes, it's a tad commercial with loads of tourists, but there's a reason people come to visit.

The Clam Chowder!!!

3) The cable car -- a definite must-do!


4) Sunsets with backdrops like this...


5) The de Young museum for its modern art and significant collection of Teotihuacan and Peruvian works.

Museum facade

The view from the tower

Japanese garden just beside the museum... go to Japan instead

6) And last but not least, the FOOD, FOOD, FOOD!!! Ahia planned everything and I was just a more-than-willing gopher. First stop was
Dottie's True Blue Cafe, arguably the best place for breakfast, famous for their original breads like Honey Zucchini or Pumpkin Cherry. Come ready to wait for a table.

That was just a snack since we had to make the drive right after to Berkeley (huuuge campus) to make our 615 reservation at
Chez Panisse (the #2 restaurant in the US according to Gourmet magazine).

Overall assessment... slightly disappointing. Though the price wasn't exorbitant ($85++) for the 4-course degustation, I guess we had really high expectations given the praise. The magazine had said the food was "deceptively simple", which is true since I've had better mussel soup from Mom's kitchen. Thankfully, the lamb did make up for the poor starter with the complex flavors and tastes which was new, even for a lamb-lover like me. The dessert was also not bad though if I can't remember enough to write about it, that must mean something.

Thankfully,
Zuni Cafe more than lived up to the hype. The $41 chicken for 2 is worth the 1-hour wait. I've never had white meat that tasted this soft!!! I'd be healthy and die at the ripe old age of 102 if I could cook like this all the time. Argh... I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.


And the best dessert in San Francisco has got to be in Chow. Actually, definitely part of the top 3 best desserts I've ever had -- ginger cake with caramel sauce and pumpkin ice cream. Droooool...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home