Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Quickie Update

Ok, what have I been up to? It's always a bit of struggle to get back to blogging once you've stopped for a while... and 2 months was a long stop. Not that I didn't have anything to write about. If anything, once a week went by, it seemed like there were too many things to write about that I didn't know where to start or which to pick!

Let's see... I suppose the biggest news is that I've finally settled in to Brussels. It took me quite a long while to get here, literally and figuratively. I've been waiting for this move to happen the last 3 years and just to make it even more of a challenge, I was lugging my huge fat 40kilo luggage around everywhere right before the physical transfer.

First, I was in 5 different cities each day of the week (Cincinnati, Indianapolis, New York, Chicago then LA) applying for visas, visiting my sibs (and Ezer!) and just gorging on food.

The best pizza ever at Pizzeria Mozza

One of the best lambs I've come across at Hatfield's

Best non-alcoholic mojito at LA Mill

Then it was off for 2 weeks of business trip in Mexico and Caracas before I finally ended up here.

Best seafood meal I had in Mexico was in Contramar

My new found friends in the Polanco Starbucks

Mexico and Caracas were a blast. Didn't feel like work at all and I got to hang out with a lot of old and new friends. I have a lot of good memories this trip, if only all work trips were like this. Plus, the food in Caracas was fantastic! I'd go back just for that...

And so finally, here I am. My stuff arrived two weeks ago and I've just settled in. The 2 long weekends almost back to back were perfect to get me all sorted out. I'll post more pictures of my apartment eventually but this is what I come home to everyday now. Still waiting for my couch to be delivered but it's home anyway.


I've arrived at the perfect time -- spring's here, all the avenues are green again and the sun is out till 9pm! I wish this weather would last...

I live in where the guidebooks say is "THE place to be seen" -- Place du Chatelain with a market every Wednesdays where I go shopping for necessities. You can buy everything there... meat, cheese, fish, fruit, any and all kinds of olives and virtually everything you can think off.



The most bad-ass strawberries I've ever ever had in my life. To... die... for...

It's usually packed as you can see, especially when there's a guy offering wine degustation out of his trunk! Now that's what I call entrepreneurial!


And of course, weekends here are so much easier, nicer and more fun. Last weekend was a road trip to Amsterdam which I hadn't seen in the last 12 years. It's much more alive than I remembered and I really really enjoyed the ambiance and the feel of the city. Smoked pot for the first time though I am disappointed to report it had absolutely no effect on me... guess I shouldn't be surprised considering somewhere along my genes, my ancestors probably invented opium.

Note to self: Just because it's only 2.5 hours away doesn't mean you don't plan the trip anymore... A lot of the sights now are "bookable" online so you can save time from queueing. Still, it does give one an excuse to come back for the Anne Frank and Rembrandt museums.

The infamous red light district

People-watching... the national hobby

In front of what I think is the royal palace :o)

life-size replicas of Rembrandt's "Night Watch"

Buying more tulips than I know what to do with


I had some more adventures after that -- a side trip to Moscow where the waitress threatened to call the cops on us (just because we asked to split the bill!) and of course, Bert and Andrea's wedding this weekend... though that's one that's better shared on pictures!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home