Sunday, December 02, 2007

Budapest Day 2: Old Town Buda

The thing about winter is that people over-compensate on the heating systems, and not only does it make everything artifically too hot (so there is a higher chance of catching a cold when you get out) but it also makes you incredibly dry. I know this isn't why people are reading this post, but I've never slathered on so much lotion in my entire life that I was practically sliding off the bed.

Ok moving on. My first impression of Hungary was that it was a country of old people. The fact that I'm staying in a resort-spa where old people come to convalesce did not help improve this. Nor did my hot spring session yesterday, where I saw more flesh, hanging bits and wiggly parts than I've ever seen in my entire life.

But today I have young company walking the Castle District in the old hill town of Buda. Shannon was my regional account director in Saatchi when I still had my old assignment. Today he's my sightseeing buddy, which is really a good thing since my camera kept freezing up on me and I had to rely on his.

In general, Budapest is a very small city. You could walk the entire length of it, all the way to Margrit island in 2 hours. Wear comfy walking shoes since it's mostly cobblestone and trust me, you do not want to be caught in heels, no matter if they're chunky... my feet still hurt!

We got lost a couple of times in the old town as we made our way to see the recommended sights...

Fishermen's Bastion


The Dome of the Royal Palace

and decided to thaw out in the Hungarian National Museum, which has free admission! A definite plus in my book. We were not familiar with any of the Hungarian artists so snob that I am, we went through it pretty quickly. Maybe hunger had something to do with it, since lunch came at 2pm-ish. And as I already mentioned, food in Hungary is amazingly good... which shouldn't be surprising considering they are the second largest producer of foie gras in the world, after the French. I had one of the best steaks in my life (with foie gras on top of course) at a regular by-the-street pub.

Parliament was the next item on the agenda but sadly, they had run out of tickets by the time we got there. Go early next time guys, this is one of the must-see's in Budapest.

Parliament

We split up at this point so Shannon could make the 2-hour trek back to the hotel and I could go see Heroes' Square



and Vajdahunyad Castle, not a real castle but a complex of buildings reflecting various architectural styles -- Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, etc.

The Baroque building

In retrospect, it was probably not a good idea to take the river cruise on a foggy evening where one could hardly see anything.


But it was nice to meet up with some of the other office people for dinner, before I retired so they could enjoy other nocturnal activities.


Even though I covered off the major parts of Budapest already this weekend, I will have to find my way back again soon, with sneakers, a warmer jacket and more time for wandering, for indulging in their thermal spas and for trying out all their local and high-end delicacies. And then we'd be off to Prague and Croatia. :)

For more pictures, click here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home