Monday, November 17, 2008

What's up, ketchup?

Wow, it's been a while. Haven't felt much like writing these days and been really busy since my move to Brussels. Let's see... I went on vacation to Bolivia, Ecuador, Peru and the Galapagos Islands with Ahia and Mama (still have to upload the pics to that one), went on another vacation in New Zealand, did a weekend in Barcelona, visited Yotch in Chicago, been traveling to Cairo (twice!), Mexico, Beijing (yey-to-no-pollution-post-Olympics!), Bali, Manila, and of course my uber-favorite Cinci. I definitely need to find some time to write about all these trips.

In the meantime, I figured I'd do lists since they're good to ease me into writing again. So here's my top 5 things that I love about my move here:

1) Love the food -- my monthly Perroquet pita fix, 1-Michelin star La Truffe Noire (to die for) and even my trusty old Thai cafe just downstairs. After almost a year of living in Cinci, everything is savored, appreciated and enjoyed!

2) Love that I have a lot of stuff to do on weekends -- entertaining friends, watching unlimited movies (I have a monthly card), visiting expositions (Star Wars, da Vinci exhibits, Body Museum, etc...) and super being hooked on Civilizations on my PS3.

3) Love my apartment -- love the furniture, love the location, love that it feels like home. I can't wait for the whole family to come celebrate Christmas here next year!!!

4) Love that everything is so close -- Barcelona and Madrid: 2 hours by plane, Paris: 1.5 hours by train, Amsterdam: 2 hours by car, London: 2 hours by train, etc etc. It's great to see friends and visit new places every weekend if I wanted to. Of course most days I just want to veg at home after being on a plane so much but it's nice to know I have that choice.

5) Love my friends -- Sad that Karim and Rana moved to Beirut a few months after I came over :o( but at least I still have David and Carole, Marianne and Mirko, Sylvain and Marion, and a bunch of other lovely lovely folks. And it's always nice to have Ghi and Fab come over. :o)

On the flip side, it does take some adjusting that there are almost no English channels on TV (3 including CNN and BBC - groan...), the hot water is intermittent at best (thank you old 18-kopong-kopong pipes), weather's totally crappy (2 types: gloom and doom), I can't go anywhere because the street names are too supercalifragilisticexplialidociously long for me to remember (I live in Chaussee de Waterloo, that's the only thing I know) and Manila is still too far away (I can't believe I missed Italian themed dinner!).

For all that, and I'm not sure how long it will last... but for now, there's no other place I'd rather be than a Bruxelles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home