Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Well Hello Again

I’m stuck on a 12 hour flight to Mexico and the entertainment system is busted… Groan. On the bright side, KLM gave me a 50euro voucher and time to write, a luxury I rarely seem to have these days.

Since the last time I blogged, my life has been, in a nutshell, crazily busy. I read somewhere that the 3 most stressful things in life are the death of a relative, divorce and moving. By that measure, the last three years of my life have been the most stressful as I moved each year, through 3 continents and 4 apartments.

I hope this is the last move though for a long long while. Steph and I finally took the leap and bought a new house – we found this incredible place (lovingly referred to as James Bond’s previous house) and the timing and more importantly, pricing, were just perfect. We moved in September and all our furniture fit like it was bought for the house, which reinforces our belief that bad feng shui notwithstanding, it was meant to be.

The final details – security, home theater system, wireless internet – weren’t fixed in time for the House Warming in October but that didn’t stop us from having a – wait for it – legendary party anyway (ok, yes, we also went through 4 seasons of HIMYM in 3 weeks). The key ingredients: our best friends from Brussels and Geneva, loud music and lots of alcohol (more than 60 bottles consumed). The Wii, Magic Mic and the PS3 didn’t hurt either – if it isn’t yet obvious, I live with a 35 year old man who turns into a 12 year old boy at night and on weekends.
We’ve rarely left the house since, partly because we love it so much and mostly because the mortgage payments mean we can’t afford much else. It does give us opportunity to be even more hospitable – so watch for more poker, rugby and football nights, PS3 tournaments, videoke singfests and just plain vegging together parties – if I can ever manage to be home for more weekends.

It’s not over yet but 2009 has definitely been our year for our families. All vacation time this year was spent introducing Steph to the family (duck fetus, chicken feet and soup #5 were all a huge success!), celebrating Chloe’s first birthday in Vegas no less (aww… I’m a god-ma) and visiting Steph’s relatives in Toulouse and Bordeux (I gain a few pounds and increase my alcohol tolerance every time).

I’ve also been pretty lucky to have one of my Manila business trips coincide with cousin Jo visiting from Canada and seeing Cathy in the last few days before she emigrated. And it’s truly been a blessing to see my niece Chloe growing up in all her adorable-ness every few months or so in Chicago – also gives me an opportunity to let my inner stage mother out when I accompany her to her modeling gigs. :)

Oh... I just arrived at my hotel room and found myself staring at a used condom in the Sheraton toilet. How's that for an ending?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home