Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Ancient Rome Day 9

Have finally updated my blog to cover the last 3 days I missed. I've also made some creative licensing on the dates. :)

Ancient Rome was completely overshadowed today by my wallet getting stolen. Of course I'm disappointed and annoyed - I lost €25 for no good reason, a couple of pictures and my license. But it could have been worse. Good thing I had the sense to put my other money and credit cards in my bag's inner pocket (Mama's trick).

I have to admire the thief - he manouvered his way through and over the heavy coat placed on top of my bag. And once inside, under the guidebook, bottled water, digital camera, hair brush and various other knick-knacks to get my wallet (which even I have a hard time finding sometimes).

I didn't even notice, since it all happened in the space of 10 or 15 minutes as I walked from the Museo Nazionale to the Termini Metro just across the street. This station is notorious so I was even more alert... So I can't help but have a sense of grudging admiration - that really was some incredible pickpocketing.

I guess now I have the full Roman experience - major sights, Buccatini pasta and theft.

Rome is still lovely, and much more so, Ancient Rome. It's nice to see it during the day and at a leisurely pace for a change - the Colosseum, Roman Forum, Palatine Hill, Pantheon, Trevi, Campidoglio and of course, Bernini's Fountain of 4 Rivers opposite Borromini's Church of St. Agnes at Piazza Navona.


Some weird things I've noticed here:
1) There are Koreans (?) / Mainlanders (?) selling grass crickets or your name written in Chinese. Why why why would anyone want that as a souvenir of ITALY???

2) Italians seem to be pretty bad drivers and not just because I felt like I would die on a Vespa. To parallel park, they would always bump the car behind them. They go very veeeery slowly and wouldn't it just be ridiculous if it were on purpose? And yes, even the men do it.

3) This is common to Europe. Everyone walks at hyper speed (and that's saying a lot since I live in Singapore). Every single time I ask for directions, I'm told 10 minutes by step and it always always always takes me double that.

2 Comments:

At 10:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey moan! tama yan, update your blog DAILY otherwise we all might think you've run off with some italian count or something LOL

okay, pop quiz: italian men = roberto benigni.... or antonio sabato jr?

 
At 4:09 AM , Blogger moan said...

they may look like antonio sabato jr. but man, some of them can be real asses. :)

i think i prefer the french.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home