Saturday, April 30, 2005

Tuscany Day 5

I am convinced that the best way to see Florence is on a Vespa - even if it wreaks havoc on my contacts and turns my hair into popsicles.

Last night as I stepped out of the Internet cafe, I met a group of college kids who invited me to hang out with them at Piazzale Michelangelo. I don't remember all their names (they all end in vowels) except for my driver, Arthan, who thankfully, had the sense to have an extra jacket and helmet in his scooter.

I couldn't help squealing as they zipped through the streets of Florence, racing up the hill to the piazza. It was almost surreal as my pseudo-guide pointed out all the major spots as we whipped past - the Ponte Vecchio, Duomo, Uffizi, the many different piazzas - all lit by a clear starry sky.

I was afraid my nose would chip off from the cold, but that was completely forgotten as the view of Florence all the way to Fiesole and the glittery waters of the Arno greeted me as we reached the top. No wonder there were only couples there, kissing, cuddling and what not. It was a scene right out of a postcard.

They dropped me off at the Ponte Vecchio to indulge my gelato craving - of course I had to have the Ferrero flavor. I had 2 other scoops of something I couldn't pronounce and on my way back to the hotel, I met Simon (See-mon-eh), who is a music reviewer for the local paper. He insisted on treating me to 2 more scoops of gelato to keep him company - the gelato was his dinner (he had just come from the dentist :).

So naturally, after 5 scoops of the richest, thickest ice cream ever invented, I, who rarely get pimples, woke up with 2!! What the hell kind of stuff do they put in those things...

When I got back, I discovered I had been upgraded to a 70€ room which means I get a bigger bed and a killer view of the Arno. Man, a smile can be pure currency in these parts.

Have I already said that I love Florence?

* * * * *

Today was maybe the most relaxed of my trip so far. It was nice to wake up to the chiming bells in the distance that signal the start of the day. I had a nice 85-minute ride to Siena - the Tuscan countryside appearing in the window 20 minutes into the trip.

I had no idea God had so many different shades of green in his palette until today. It really was Nature at her best, each hill sloping gracefully and rolling into the next, each field a vibrant verdant green, each tree rising proudly to complete the scene I thought moviemakers only embellished (they don't need to).

The cities of Siena and San Gimignano in the Tuscan / Chianti region are real throw-backs to the medieval era. Everything in these 2 cities have remained almost as it was - red brick and stone buildings, cobble-stone streets, 12 o'clock ringing bells to signal the hour of the Angelus and huge piazzas in the center beside the Duomo; or should I say, the Duomo (or church) is still the center of life.


Of course I did the tourist thing - visiting museums filled with paintings from the Sienese school, genuflecting in magnificent churches built almost a 1000 years ago and climbing 500+ steps each of the Torre Mangia and Torre Grasso for unparalleled views of Tuscany. I must have taken dozens of pictures (which I will post here in future) to make up for the bloody head rush and creaking legs I had to suffer through.


I've climbed the temples of Angkor Wat and part of the Great Wall of China, but I swear, the Torre Mangia shaved a couple of years off my life with that climb.

But the absolute best part and real magic of the day was wandering away from the tourist trail and exploring these 2 places up and down hilly roads winding in every direction. I think I spent hours getting lost with almost every spot being a great vantage point for the majestic views. I am probably developing the calves I feared fencing would give me - but for 1 day, it was worth it.

I rewarded myself for all that exercise by splurging on a good meal. Here in Italy, it's customary to order 2 main dishes, even on top of the antipasti. So tonight I had seafood pasta and codfish cooked the traditional Fiorentine way. Between this and the 3 scoops of gelato I had again this afternoon, I'll be fat and completely out of shape by the time I get back home.

1 Comments:

At 1:45 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

post pictures post pictures!!! (of the cuties) :P heehee

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home