Thursday, May 05, 2005

Rome Day 10

I probably shouldn't say this and sound like an ingrate, but I'm looking forward to leaving Rome. I know, I know... who wants to leave Rome?

It's not the city's fault I don't think. Rome was and is, as usual, totally disarming. It wasn't too hot today so you could walk around without fear of contracting the Roman sunburn (red in spots not covered by your t-shirt). And for some reason, not many tourists today so you could, for example, re-explore the Roman Forum without hordes of people.

The last time I was here, the Galleria Borghese was still under restoration (it took them 20 years!) and not open to the public. I'm glad they've finally opened. The mandatory advance reservation system is annoying, the queue for the audio guide (ok but better with the museum tour) was long and, the map pointing out the train stop was misleading (it should be Spagna). I had to walk across the whooooole complex, which took me 30 minutes at a brisk walk. Argh argh.

It's definitely worth seeing though, as much for the museum itself as for its collection. It may be 1 of the smallest in the world (you're done in 1.5 hours) but it houses 4 Bernini masterpieces (already worth the price of entry) and a host of Carravagio's (fast becoming my favorite), Titian's and even a Raphael.

The Musei Capitolini at the Piazza del Campidoglio designed by Michelangelo, is also worth going to. It's at the very end of the 'Sacred Way' so you can easily make your way up after seeing the Colosseum and Forum. Audio guides aren't worth it since there are English signs everywhere.

I only truly wandered the right building, Palazzo dei Conservatori, which has works by Guercini, Veronese, Titian, di Cortono and you guessed it, Caravaggio. The left, Palazzo di Nuovo, was downright boring except maybe for the Dying Gladiator.

Right now, I'm sitting on a 2000 year old rock of Ancient Rome and thinking that after 10 days of traveling alone, I'm glad it's almost over. It's been a hugely wonderful experience (which I recommend everyone to do at least 1x in their life), but I'm going craaaaazy.


Pretty soon, I think i'll start talking to myself. I've already started talking to strangers - just about anyone who can speak English or even FIlipino. I do it while waiting in line, at bus stops, with my room mates and even in museums. I actually like it when I'm asked for directions, just to hear the sound of my voice.

I haven't had a decent conversation in weeks... and my brain is ready to vomit everything I've seen and experienced to anyone willing to listen.

I'm also craving for human contact - not the push-you-in-the-Metro or come-on-baby-give-me-a-hug type, but real honest-to-goodness touching. I miss being hugged or held, an arm around my shoulder or even a simple handshake. I miss being with people I know - who like me for me and not for whatever else they think I am.

So even if the next stop is ultra-small, don't-remember-anything-worthwhile-visiting-there Brussels :), I'm still excited to go because I'll finally hang out with a familiar face.

But for tonight, I have Rome for company at dinner 1 last time. At 8pm, the sun is still lazily taking its time going down, giving Rome a faint orange glow. I can hear the accordion in the distance as I sit outside the Taverna Capranica at the piazza of the same name, gorging on tonnarelli with clams and beef fillet, watching the people go by. Since this is an enotica, it specializes in wine so I'm having that too, though not all at the same time.

I must remember to save room for dessert at the best Gelateria in town, Giolotti. I hope I won't wake up with pimples again tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home