Monday, September 04, 2006

Papa's Hospital Peeves

My dad's in the hospital. He's ok now but last weekend was touch-and-go if you listened to the doctors. It was a little scary and we didn't tell my dad how scary it was, although I'm sure being confined in the ICU and having us all there outside his room window ALL THE TIME must have given us away.

Bei came over to keep vigil with us the 1st night. I don't think she slept one wink so Mama could have kausap and someone to pass the time with kwento, and that made all the difference. That was really sweet and I was so touched, I had tears in my eyes. Today, Lon brought lunch for us and Diku, Dikim brought maki -- the ultimate comfort food. Who needs friends with family like this?

I'm writing this from Papa's room. It's quite depressing, made even more so, because there's no TV. There's no bed for the extra person to sleep in (because technically, no one's allowed to stay in the ICU) and all you have is one supremely back-breaking monobloc chair. We don't complain because they're not so strict here at Metropolitan, and they let one person in with Papa at all times. And naturally, we abuse the privilege and have 2, even 3, people inside to keep Papa company.

Overall, the doctors (except for the one who freaked us all out) and nurses have been really nice and accommodating. But you know Papa's getting better when he makes funny observations (like all the male nurses are gay or our day nurse looks like a serial killer), starts getting mad and complaining about:

1. No TV in the room (now you see where I get my couch potato-ness from).
2. The nurses who keep coming in every hour to check his BP and temperature.
3. The "incompetent doctors" who don't know his body and won't let him go home.

Sigh. I wouldn't have him any other way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home