Sunday, January 30, 2005

The evidence of things not seen (Part 1)

I was never really active in orgs in college, preferring to 'tambay' with friends. For some reason in my junior year, AJMA made me the Corporate Relations Head of the AIMS seminar. A fancy title for someone whose job was just to round up sponsors - but not knowing any better, I accepted the post.

With 2 weeks to go before the event and 0 sponsors being acquired, my 2 staff people vanished, never to be seen again. For some reason, I got the brilliant idea to walk down Ayala Avenue and jump from building to building and floor to floor to do cold calls. So 1 hot, sticky afternoon, I did just that. I must have walked the full length from 6750 to Makati Med... in heels!

1 of the buildings was called JAKA (6780 Ayala), and on the 4th floor of that building was a 'small fish-big pond' agency called Bozell. I never got them to sponsor the event but for some reason, I kept their card.

Fast forward to graduation - I had just graduated Cum Laude and at the top of my Management class. For some reason despite this, I had no job offers from any company! Suicidal, mortified and desperate, I looked at all my 'contacts'... and started calling and faxing my resume. For some reason, only 1, 1 company, replied. And it was Bozell, now called FCB.

For some reason, the guy who interviewed me, who would become my boss, didn't want to hire me. If I hadn't called to follow up, he wouldn't have felt I really wanted the job and I might just still be floundering in job searching hell. But I did, and I was hired, and I met Dean - the interviewer, my boss and now my fiance.

The rest as they say... is history.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home