Sunday, June 25, 2006

Eenie, Meenie, Miney, Moan

So Yotch and I were watching Oprah the other day and Lance Armstrong's ex-wife was on the show talking about how she "lost" herself gradually in her marriage, as she played the part of perfect wife and mother. Which meant, in some ways, sacrificing what she wanted for what she thought was best for everyone.

Some part of that ep terrorized us, so I'm listing down a couple of things to remind myself of who I am and what I want, lest I forget it somewhere along the way. I know some compromise is always going to happen, but knowing where you stand on certain things will make it a lot easier to determine how far and how much you're willing to let go.

1. My family is very important to me. Any guy who doesn't make an effort to be loved by them can go bark up another tree.
2. One of these days, I am going to rediscover God and all the Catholic traditions I grew up with.
3. I like talking and having long, meaningful, silly, pointless conversations. Words are important to me and if you love me but don't say it, then you don't love me at all (unless you're family, in which case, you have no choice).
4. My job isn't the #1 priority but don't ask me to give it up. I like what I do.
5. I like movies, gifts and surprises (both the giving and the getting), good food (Chinese, Japanese, sushi, steak, French, Italian, Continental, dimsum, fine dining, hawker center, etc etc), any kind of dancing, eating out, massages and entertaining at home.
6. Some weekends are best spent sleeping past noon and parking in front of the TV. And some should be spent dressed to the nines and out till the sun comes up.
7. I like to travel and if you don't, I'll go alone... at least 1x a year.
8. I don't smoke, drink, do drugs or go for cheap thrills and I don't get along with anyone who goes overboard on those.
9. I'm never having short hair again. Or kinky hair if I can help it.
10. I don't like not trying out stuff (except for Mediterranean food), the gym, golf, clutter, cooking, cleaning, crooked teeth, too much curry or cheese and apparently from the looks of it, things that start with the letter C.
11. I need rice at least 1x a day and I think I'll die if I go a week without it.
12. I like having control of the remote but I don't mind giving up control of the car and kitchen in return.
13. I'm vain and emotionally needy which means I need constant reassurance that I'm pretty.
14. I like live music, the theater, museums and exhibits, people-watching, splurging on the occasional indulgence, long drives, spontaneous moments, soaking in the tub forever and PDA. Lots and lots of PDA.
15. I haven't learned to like the opera, whole-day shopping, scrimping on food, long walks, too much spending, freezing cold weather, tight shirts on guys, pets and being too open on bodily functions.
16. I'd like to have couple friends and separate sets of friends, but to have 1 bestest friend in the guy I marry.
17. I want to be able to retire by the time I'm 40. Somewhere warm and sunny and blue. Preferably historic. With a swing on the front porch.
18. I'm a hopeless romantic. I don't think I could be with a guy who doesn't share my same idea of romance.
19. I don't like being told what to do, what I can't do or what I shouldn't do. And the more you tell me what's what, the more I'll probably do the opposite. I like my independence and boy oh boy I'll need to find someone who likes that about me too.

There's so much more where that came from. I just hope I remember all of that when it comes time to matter. Especially the fact that I like me, right now, exactly as I am.

3 Comments:

At 9:07 PM , Blogger Stone_set said...

Go Ach! anyone's a fool if they don't like you. i love you exactly the way you are, too. -wong

 
At 9:08 PM , Blogger Stone_set said...

go ach! anyone's a fool if they don't like you. i love you just the way you are, too. -wong

 
At 8:40 PM , Blogger myblackfriendsays said...

I think this list was a great idea. When you find someone that you're serious about, you can bring it back out and see if the person measures up to your already written criteria.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home