Saturday, February 19, 2005

Daddy's girl

My dad had a mild stroke last Thursday while sleeping in the passenger side of the car. He woke up and half of his face down to his arm was numb. Of course, my dad being my dad, he went about his day like nothing happened. If it weren't for Ahia's frantic phone call from the States, I don't think wild bulls could have dragged him to the hospital.

I don't have the kind of easy relationship with him as my siblings - Ahia and Dihia's easy adult talks about family or work, Yotch's easy banter about sports or Wong's easy lambing... Remnants of a childhood filled with growing pains as the eldest daughter in a solidly traditional Chinese household, I suppose.

It's always made me sentimental - I can't help sobbing at father-daughter scenes in movies (man, Mulan made me cry throughout the movie, even to this day) or now that I'm getting married, replaying in my mind how my dad will look walking me down the aisle. My most favorite picture in the whole world was taken by a stranger during my graduation, because in it, my dad looks proud of me.

Moms can make families warm and loving, but Dads make families feel invincible - because you know that even in the worst of times, he's always got your back.

I'm guessing all of us are feeling a little vulnerable right now. I know I am... suddenly not so sure of my footing when I could have walked blindfolded before.

1 Comments:

At 8:25 AM , Blogger Jaclyn said...

hey moan, hope your dad is doing better now...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home